Sunday, July 3, 2016

Knee of Pain by The Police

There's a little black fly on my arm today... It's even more itchy as yesterday.

The site I was supposed to get was taken up by this van and trailer.  My site was more appropriately sized.


My clothes were somewhat wet and I managed to use the dryer.  They couldn't handle washing because the well dried up from the Canada Day long weekend, but using the dryer was no problem.  They just needed to keep the door locked so nobody would use the washing machine.


When I went to see the guy about the key, I found him in the hut across the street from the fire pit where I hung out the night before.  I forgot to mention Brian and Marilyn offered me beer.  Normally I don't drink during these trips got hydration purposes and the inconvenience of having to pee while in a tent. Which is what I did, walking to the washroom in my underwear since everything else was wet. Anyhow, the guy who had the key was eating lobster for breakfast.  When I got the key and went to grab my dry clothes, I found the lock wasn't even locked.  I locked it when I retrieved my toasty clothes.


Occasionally I questioned the GPS when the street had a sign that said, "NO EXIT" but glad I ignored the street signs, because I would invariably find a cool footbridge like the one above.


The view of the river from this vantage was spectacular!


Cars simply miss these views unless of course they park and step out often, which is rare.


I ordered a large pizza from a prickly guy who I suppose was self-aware.  Check out the sign in his kitchen.  I tried to make small talk by first asking his name but he couldn't hear me over the fan.  He told me I'd have to wait.  I waved my hand with a gesture that it wasn't important.  Eventually he came over and asked what I needed.  I told him I was just asking his name.  He seemed perturbed by it, but to give him his due, I left my sunglasses on the waiting table (no eating in) and he brought them out to the picnic table where I was eating.


It was a really nice view.  I managed to eat about half and stored the rest.  I wish it had been thin slice as the left over was rather heavy.


My knee was still hurting and I stopped off at a convenience store for some fluids and a guy who had been in the store came out to talk to me.  Clarence gave me an estimate of how far I had to go.  It didn't make sense as I had planned 100km per day and his estimate would have meant 120km total.  But alas he was right.  I even looked at my notes and I guess I didn't read that I had pondered 100km or stretching it to 120km to stay at a campground in Sherbrooke.  With my knee, I knew this was a bad idea, but I had an early enough start that I knew I could do it.  However, once I got within 20km of the campground, I was knackered and  circled back about 150 yards to a nice resort looking place.  I had already spent the last 30km wondering about taking a taxi.


Elaine at reception was amazing.  She had bad news that there were no taxis but good news that she said one of the workers would drive me into town and to the campground.  Chester took a while to arrive but I waited in my Muskoka chair outside until he got there.  



Chester did the boat tours and figured he could take me early since there was likely no 6:00pm boat tour.  Seems he would lend his car, and he said some people would put gas, and some would not, but he was easy going about it. I offered to give him something after he refused my buying him dinner.  He said he'd take whatever I wanted to offer him.  I gave him the small token $20 for his time and kindness.


I got myself registered into the campground and ended up with a beautiful and secluded site compared to all the rest. 


I bought a couple of local pops and a bag of ice.  


The owner's grandson helped carry my 2 liter pop and  bag of ice.  I gave him a couple bucks for his help which it seemed he could have taken or leaven.


I set up my tent swatting away flies since I was more in the bush.  Once I was done I iced my knee while drinking my soda and sending notes to Jenn, my friend I was staying with the following day.  


I turned in early but slept late... I think I needed the rest having gotten little sleep the preceding few nights.  

Question of The Post: What's the nicest favour you did for someone without any expectation of anything in return?

2 comments:

  1. That chandelier...wow! Looks like something from GofT. I like a good secluded campsite - the flies would bug me thou :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't so bad... a few swats here and there and they left me alone. Once my tent was yup I found the bug spray and hit my hands and head for peace.

      Delete