Saturday, July 2, 2016

Late start, early problem.

Woke up early before my alarm and double checked everything.  Jamie's bike pump saved the day since the pump I bought last minute only pumped Schraeder valves and I have Presta valves.  There was a bit of a photo shoot outside Elle's place, where I spent two fabulously comfortable nights.


We threw Rawk Lobster II on the back of Elle's car and she drive me with Jamie to Stefanie's.  I had a few pillow case paint sets which I highly recommend buying at your local toy shop and made by Elle.  The company is Artburn and the pillow cases and T-Shirts are a positive item in the lives of your children!  Buy them!!! Anyhoo, I had two I bought for Stefanie's kids.  Little Wyatt wanted to paint straight away.  


He seemed to enjoy dipping his brush in every colour but must have an amazingly acute spectrum recognition because he would call out colours even though it was usually a dominant purple.  I helped out, looking for parts of colored paint that didn't have darker paints in it, maneuvering around the mixed areas.


We hung out in the back for a bit a Stefanie and I had a chance to do a bit of catching up.  The kids played in the yard and we did a little shop talk about schooling and her thesis.  And a little about freeing the nipple... A common topic I enjoy having with young moms.


I spent some time getting to know Wyatt and encouraged him to jump from his castle slide.  I tried to get him to take a leap of faith and when I retracted my hands and caught him before he fell, he got a little serious and remarked that it was a little scary.  But luckily he kept going and got more and more comfortable.

Stefanie excused herself to put Everett to nap.  I managed to get Wyatt's help putting things away.  I had shared a bagel with him and came up with "we're different, but the same" since his half of the bagel was with butter and mine was with cream cheese.



Eventually we ended up in the front yard where he threw his car down the front steps.  We went a little down the street but he wanted to keep going.  I looked back as we got further away and saw Stefanie run out and waved when she found us.


We hung out in the front and I eventually decided to hit the road.  I found it hard to leave and had hoped to spend more time but I had a long journey ahead and the promise of thunderstorms in the afternoon.



I went to the supermarket and as I made my way, realized Stefanie was right around the corner from my buddy Steven's old place.  I bought a loaf bread, cheese, and some Clif bars.

I then slowly made my way to the ferry.  I purchased the trail for Ride With GPS and it was a blessing.  I headed to the piers and got some useless information from the hard working and otherwise very helpful folks at the tourist centre, but at least I got pointed in the right direction of the ferry and the maid they gave me proved helpful.


I had to get change from the change machine, ending up with $18 in coins, and waited about 15 minutes for the ferry.  


The bike rack on board was awesome.  The two yellow lines were like speed bumps on the floor, but used to keep the bike steady.


The view was foggy so I stayed inside for the most part.


After a bit of biking I found the Woodside Ferry, which would have made my trip a little shorter.  


What I had not expected was that much of the trip would be on gravel roads and paths just for bikers and walkers.


I got a message from a student of mine, Ali, who wondered how I was doing.  I sent him a pic and I suppose he looked up the Salt Marsh Trail and sent a screen grab and said "That looks really nice."  I hope it's motivation for him to travel and explore the world.


I eventually got to Lawrencetown beach where I assumed the gravel trail ended.


I spoke to a couple of bikers, Eddie and Donna and asked them about the view.  I ventured up over the dune and saw the lovely rocky beach and splendid ocean!



After talking to Eddie and Donna they asked if I was taking the highway.  The trail seemed to have ended.  But when I got to the end of the parking areas I saw a trail.  A few families, guys with Blue Jays caps, couldn't tell me if the trail kept going, but my phone helped me figure it out and verified by another woman who knew.


Not far down the trail I met Wim and his dogs.  We spoke for a while and I got to learn he had stepkids who liked him and I can't blame them!  He also met his girlfriend online. The back of his sweater said White Dogs.


The front of his shirt is what made me stop to talk to him.  He gave me advice... Dogs are chick magnets.  We also talked about the Jet Steam and flying to China, and he remarked I had a "proper" camera when I got his permission to take pictures of home.


There were some great views and poultry.  


I was promised thundershowers, but only got it hard for about 20 minutes.  Later on I managed to dry up just from flapping dry.  I was careful about puddles, and then decided to go straight through a puddle that has very little dry to go over, and of course I had to catch my balance and put my foot down and push, and felt water creep into my boot, then lots as I continued to push along.  Not the best feeling.


Now, I haven't mentioned it yet,  but my knee was hurting quite a bit now, having started showing signs just beyond Dartmoith and I started to realize it slowed me down and if I wasn't hurting, I might have trudged on and maybe made it to camp by midnight or later.  I stopped at this gas station to stretch and think.  You get to a point where you start to get desperate and not long after you ponder how much you'll depend on the goodwill of others.  Pick up trucks looked very attractive.

I finally pulled into Sobey's plaza and I saw a pickup pull in.  Although I had some idea how far from Murphy's cove I was, I thought asking would be a good ice breaker so I approached the truck.  Eric was picking up his son who worked at the Sobey's.  He said he'd drive me over to Murphy's but needed to find out if his son was coming or not.  Turns out his son was done his shift but wanted to hang out with his friends at work.  He helped get the bike onto the flatbed and cursed when the wood plank fell on his flip flop toes.  I apologized but he said I had nothing to be sorry about.  He was a health and safety worked and should have known better.  Anyhow, we had a nice talk on the 30+ minute drive. He told me how he hitchhiker across Canada and happy to help.  He said he wouldn't forget my name because his daughter, a nurse, is named Eve.  

  
This is the pickup truck, Eric and the darned plank of wood!  I didn't find anyone at the office and just walked to where I thought my site was, passed the pier, but it was occupied, but I figured the one across from it was mine, since it was empty.  Then Marilyn Murphy came over and asked if I had a reservation.  I told her who I was and she said I could take this site since they were pretty much all booked up.  She also mentioned there was no more water because of the Canada long weekend and there not being much rain.  They had only had a few days since the fire ban was lifted.  I mentioned I was a friend of Eleanor and she asked, "Eleanor Kure?"  My friends are popular and awesome!

I headed down to the fire to mingle, and was offered a beer by another Brian and Marilyn.  I asked if they'd mind having their of tire on my blog but they were reluctant.  Their knowledge of the Internet was limited, and so they had concerns.  Brian explained he just traded in his flip phone for a smart phone and just learning.  I dried my foot and sock by the fire.  It was a hard day.  I nursed my knee with some Pennsaid.  Then hit the hay.  Luckily I had set up my tent just as dark settled.  Didn't take long which was nice since it had been 3 years since I had set it up.

Pixelated picture of Brian and Marilyn and  picture of my toasty toesies to come!

Question of The Post: Have you ever hitchhiked?  Describe. If you haven't, would you?  Explain.

4 comments:

  1. That's so amazing that you got to see Stefanie! Hope your knee feels better. From the mud or from the ziplining you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think either played a role. My inner thigh muscles were certainly taxed on the adventure playground stuff, but my knee was fine. Ditto the mud. I think perhaps my seat was too low and so I was putting pressure on the knee. I also bruised the cartilage of that knee from landing on my knees playing volleyball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hitchhiked in Wales with an American friend once, who told everyone he was Canadian. Hope your knee feels better. Salina xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious! Excellent strategie. Thanks for writing your name! I think it can be tough knowing who's who. Not sure who Johnny is but I'm working on it.

      Delete