Monday, July 8, 2013

Astoria


As I left Ilwaco, I stopped outside an abandoned English pub to call home.  There were some nice buildings in Ilwaco, but they were mostly empty.


I expected it would be a good day.  I needed to get to a Pharmacy in Astoria to call my doctor and receive a prescription if need be.  I didn't rush, but I did keep moving.  I noticed all these little Espresso places.  Some of them no bigger than a parking attendant booth.  And some were bigger, although the majority seemed to be about the size of a parking space.  Though this one was large, it only seemed to seat three on stools.


As I approached Astoria, I hit one of the tunnels on the trip.  Most of them have a button that you push which triggers flashing lights for drivers to see that there is a bike in the tunnel.


When I saw the bridge to Astoria, I pulled over to take a picture.  Just as I was about to leave, an El Camino's hood was raised.  I stopped and asked the lady of she needed help.  Seemed like she needed a jump, which was beyond what I could offer.  Sounded like her son was on his way, so I went on my way.


The bridge was an interesting one.  I felt safe as cars gave me room. They have lots of signs on roads and bridges to remind drivers about bikes on the road. 


About half way across, I noticed the El Camino and gave a thumbs up and got a wave from Carolyn.


When I got to the other side, it was a fast downhill, so I took up most of the lane, and the cars waited, although I was going the speed most cars would travel as it bent and curved at the end.


I was now on a mission to find a pharmacy.  I had about 40 minutes in terms of when my doctor friend was expecting my call.  I rode through town but it seems the Safeway was the game on town.  I got there with 10 minutes to spare, and he gave me an over the counter remedy which worked like a charm.  



The next stop was the post the post office.  I had stuff I wanted to send home, and now that it was Monday, I could!  I sent home my flannel shirt, my extra pair of shoes, swim trunks, some socks and all my underwear from home.  I had bought some great underwear in Seattle which were all I needed.  I also sent my rain jacket which was extremely waterproof but also bulky.


The next stop was a toy store as I wanted to get a present for Sarah and Jeff's kid Luke.  I saw a stuffed toy beaver and knew it was perfect.  I almost bought some juggling balls but the road doesn't afford as mich free time as I thought.  Lots to see and lots to do.

Outside the shop, I spoke to a man who liked my trike but his wife was more interested in him getting one than he did.  


Then I met Zara and Neil.  They looked familiar and I figured I probably passed them as I was cruising around doing errands.  Neil said I had said hello to them outside camp Waikiki's general store pizza place.  Neil was the first person on the trip thus far to ask if he could sit on the trike.  And of course I let him.  We chatted for a bit and I mentioned the store Zara in Toronto, and she had been to one in Europe.  I gave them my blog and we parted ways.  


Bowpicker fish and chips was closed, and when I went to Josephson's, I realized they just sold smoked fish and so I asked the girl where to eat after I bought some smoked fish.  She said Bowpicker's but the second best was Wet Dog Cafe.


The place was really big, and the decor was pretty cool.  They brewed a lot of their own beer, if not all their own, as it was quite the establishment.


The girl who seated me was super cute.  I decided to get the sampler fish and chips and whole the tuna was interesting, the salmon and cod were great!  The fat fries were fuel.  I also had my first beer of the trip to celebrate my arrival in Oregon. They were out of Strawberry Blonde so I got the Volksweiss.  It was good!


I finally had a wifi connection so I hit Facebook and uploaded blog entries I had written thus far.  The I paid and hit the road.  The bridge leading out of town was much better.  Flat.


And I looked like I was on the right path when I saw the sign I would be following through Oregon!  Oregon Coast Bike Route.  Guess they don't know about Trikes.


When I got to seaside I bought the basketball sleeves that I learned about from Papa Angeles and a windbreaker, lest I encounter rain, which was more compact than my rain jacket.


It turned out to be a cool little town!  It was very Niagara On The Lake.  And there was a connection to Lewis and Clark which I'll have to read up on.  I think their adventure ended around here.


I encountered some pedal vehicles which rivaled mine, but even so, the kids on the front exclaimed wows when they saw me.


When I got a closer look when they got up beside me, I was the wowed one.  It was really cool!  And they were having a lot of fun.  I thought the seats up front for the kids was genius.


When I got to the beach I thought about Ming, Jacek and Bibean because there were some beach volleyball nets and people playing.


I eventually got to the roundabout where there was more Lewis and Clark statue stuff.


After Seaside I decided I best explore Cannon Beach since I had not expected Seaside would offer do much to see.  I wasn't disappointed!  The view there was great, with a beautiful haystack.


It also had a great candy store.  Actually, this place was more Niagara On The Lake than Seaside, which was more... Wasaga?  Beaches?


And I couldn't leave without ice cream!!!  I wanted my Osburns Creamery black cherry ice cream on a cone, but she gave me a cup.  I corrected her and when she brought the cone I just told her to stick it on top.  She was happy I made it so easy for her.


After I left, I found proof that the road is often as interesting as the towns.  I loved this example of bouy collection.


And I loved the name of this church. St Peter The Fisherman Catholic Church.


And here is a better illustration of how to go through tunnels in Oregon...  Push the  button before entering...


Them ride through tunnel!


I was getting close to camp but I always stop at any lookout, even if just to take in the site briefly.  And I was glad I did.  I met a man G.E. who came over to ask if my trike was powered.  Him and his family had passed me and he thought for sure it must be powered, considering the hill I had just tackled.


Ty was a soccer player and said he envied my legs when I told them how far I had come and how far I was going.  Ron Silver, Wendy's dad, was interested in my adventure, and after he went to the car, G.E. told me something very nice.  Without giving too much private detail, he said that I must be an old soul, based on how Ron had shown an interest and talked to me about his place in Oregon and his homeland, England.  It was nice to hear.  I said bye to Ty, Mario, G.E. and Wendy, when she suggested they let me go so I could get to camp.  But really, as much as I needed to get to camp, these were the experiences I would cherish forever.  Meeting people.  It was my main goal, more than the sights and seeing the coast.


I finally made it to Nehalem to crash.  And you know, those arrows on hills look really funny when you look at them closely.  They look different from afar, which is the point.  Attorney point.

























4 comments:

  1. Great blog Adams! Just read the entire thing :D
    Looking forward to the rest. Safe travelling!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim! I'm enjoying writing them! Glad you enjoy reading them!

      Delete
  2. looking awesome Adamino! :) I love the bike with all the folks on it :) And of course, the foodie posts. Am so happy you're having such a great trip! :) YAY! See ya soonish, amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading Jup!!! Can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete