Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The good, the bad, and the Hoh

I woke up early and did my morning routine before hitting the road.  I ate some salmon jerky and started my 63 mile journey.  If you don't know how many kilometers that is, that's ok.  Neither do I.


It wasn't till about 20 miles out that I found a place to eat.  And it was the perfect place.  Hungry Bear Cafe?!  I'm not a bear, but I could eat like bear.


I ordered a make-your-own omelette with cheddar, tomatoes and onions.   I wish I had a picture of the flap jacks the guys beside me were eating.  They were each about half an inch thick and at big at the plate.  There were two, and there was an ice cream scoop sized dallop of butter.  When one of the guys didn't finish, the waitress said he'd have to help do dishes if he didn't finish. He just laughed in a nervous way.


Although I should have stopped there, I had to have their bumble-berry pie Witt blackberry swirl ice cream.  I don't think pie should be eaten without ice cream.  Fran (I don't know her name but that will do) decided to put ice cream on until she was satisfied the result would be dripping off the plate onto the counter. She succeeded.


After paying, she liked at me suddenly, with a very serious face and said, "You bike careful, y'hear?"  I promised her I would.

Not too long after, I needed to use the washroom and decided to look for pretzels.  My family doctor told me to eat pretzels.  They didn't have any so I got jalepeno-Cheddar Chex.  If I didn't already have spitz (sunflower seeds) I would have got these bacon flavoured ones.  I kinda regret not getting them.  Anything bacon makes it better.


When I passed by the side of the place I got my Chex, I realized I had entered the Twilight Zone.  There was a Twilight radio station...


I was in Forks.  Home of Twilight.


There was Nature to Twilight...


Dazzled by Twilight, which was tempting since I haven't been "dazzled" by anything. Technically.


Pacific pizza even had, wait for it...  a Twilight menu!!!


I thought that was all the Twilight I would get, but I would be wrong.  As if the menu wasn't enough, there was a place farther down the road that sold, get this... Twilight fire wood. I'm not making this shit up. 


And then there was the Forks timber museum with this awesome sculpture of two guys cutting a piece of timber. It was right outside the Forks visitor centre.


But nobody paid them many mind.  Nobody took pictures of them?  Why?  Because this was outside the front doors...


There was Bella's truck and some other truck and they must be famous trucks because everyone wanted pictures with them.  Because there were from Twilight.  Everything was Twilight! And I mean everything!  The only thing they didn't have that was Twilight were Twilight Condoms!  They ran out but should have more in a week.  Just my luck.

Across the street from the visitor's centre  was a guy trying to start his choo choo for the 4th of July parade.  I thought it was awesome since it had nothing to do with Twilight.


As I got just outside of the Hoh Rainforest, I found Den's Wood Den which had these really neat tree trunk statues.  Very cool.  This would eventually be the last place I remember using my wallet when I took card, although this would not dawn on me until 2:30 in the morning.


I got to the entrance of the Hoh.  I think it's called that with bikers/trikers in mind. Some of the hills would have me huffing, "Hoh!  Hoh boy!  Wow!  I mean Hoh!"  It was about 18 miles of up and down, but overall mostly up.  I stopped off at 6 Peaks to grab a couple of drinks.  I spoke to Charlotte Peterson who gave me a map designed by her as she was part if a committee.  

I took the map a put it in my pocket.  I would find it the following by the side of the road in the grass just 100 yards from 6 peaks.  I knew I lost it at a public fishing turn-off to see if this was the free camping area she had mentioned.  I managed to get through some mud and puddles and was happy with the choice to send home my mudguards.


The moss hanging from the trees was amazing.  I imagine it's even more amazing when it's rainy!  When I saw the river, I realized I might get to soak my legs.  Definitely needed after 63 miles!


When I finally arrived, I grabbed a campsite, paid for it, again by self pay envelope, and stretched.  I met the neighbours digs Teela and Charlie.


I went to soak in the river and the temperature had my huffing and puffing, it was so cold!  It was the same feeling when you reach into an ice cooler for a drink and can't find it and have to take a break.  I then went to the washroom with my shorts and it was then that I realized I had lost an envelope of money.  It contained a lot of money. Enough that it wasn't till I went to bed that I realized I lost my wallet as well.   I lost sleep over it.  About an hour and a half from 2:30 till almost 4, I racked my brain.  I remembered using my wallet at the den, remembered not knowing where my map went, and realizing it was probably lost on the trail.  But after first realizing, I looked everywhere by the river where my shorts were (I had sat on a rock I positioned there to lower myself in slowly) and couldn't find it.  I decided to go to the Magic of the Hoh Rainforest slideshow put on by one of the Rangers. She was sympathetic when I approached her afterwards and told her my unfortunate tale.  She advised I go to file a lost report with the Hoh Visitor Centre.  Eventually I went back to my site and tried to sleep.  


It wasn't the best sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment