Friday, July 12, 2013

Canucks, Climbing and Coos

Since the camp area wasn't that exciting, I decided to eat 7 miles up from camp overlooking the dunes, or any place that had a view. I met Angus, Dorian and Victor who were learning a bunch of things from rangers while Angus tended to his flat tire.  I made cheese sammiches and ate them.  The guys were from Waterloo, Canada.  It's close to Toronto. That's what Angus told me.  I told him I was from Toronto.  Angus has the best laugh!  


The ranger posing gallantly was Gifford.  Or at least he was playing the role of Gifford.  I think he was Truman's right hand man or something.  He was a wealthy man that served as a ranger never taking any money.


Anna, one of the rangers, told me not to miss John D. Dune even though it's a bit of a hike.  On the way, I saw the Special Olympics torch relay.


And this is the best shot of the lumber trucks that would wizz by and give me a much needed breeze when the air was still.


I had to climb lots of hills, which I thought I was done with after Washington.  I saw this cool tree which seemed to survive a pretty brutal fire.


I needed tacos.  But I didn't want to waste too much time.  Thank goodness for Mexican Express!!!


I thought this memorial was cool.  Lots of people make their livelihood from the sea.   More people would be needed if it was done line and hook.


I didn't stop at this museum to find out about the lighthouse.


I just went to the lighthouse.  At least all the lighthouses were unique.  I don't know why I like lighthouses, but I do.  So there.


I liked getting to Coos County.  Not only do they honour/honor veterans, but my hero Steve Prefontaine is from Coos Bay which I'm pretty sure is in Coos County.


A short while later, I found John Dellenback's dune!  I wish I owned a dune, or had one named after me.  


It was totally worth the 40 minute hike to see the dune.  It was huge!  First I was greeted with this beautiful view....


And then this...


You can see some people to see just how big it is, although it's really hard to capture how magnificent and huge it is.

Of course, I moved on from there and wouldn't you know it, another bridge!  Someone who governed Oregon sure had a thing for bridges!


And they're cool looking!


I was in North Bend!  Which is right by Coos Bay.  I ended up looking for, but not finding, the statue of Steve Prefontaine I thought I remembered being there.  And inso doing, I had to battle some pretty steep hills.


When in Coos Bay it was starting to get late and I had no idea how far I had to go.  I was also hungry.  More important,  I was worried my mom was worried, as I was getting bad service on my phone.  I stopped outside a KFC to see if I could get WiFi.  The AT&T network would allow phone calls. This guy Jeff chatted me up from his truck, and then came out from KFC to learn more about my trip.

I decided to keep going and found a pay phone.  Pay phones suck.  They used to be great before cell phone, but now the just eat quarters and do nothing that had to do with making phone calls.


After lighthouses, wooden boats out of the water are a distant second in terms of seaside attractions.


I ended up using the WiFi at this fish restaurant, with a cuter than cute waitress.  I had the daily catch fish and smoked salmon chowder.  I managed to get in touch with mom to let her know I was ok and chowed down.



And I finally made it to Sunset bay right around sunset.  David would tease me about being late, again.  I thought I was right on time.  













No comments:

Post a Comment