Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Dave, Reg, and saying bye to friends

UIn the morning, I didn't get on the road right away.  I wouldn't be seeing John and Tom again and so I just hung out while they chatted with Mike and Judy.


The conversation was about finance and so I enjoyed listening and learning about New Zealand retirements and the US system.  Mike and Judy were continuing down the coast but not as far as the rest of us.  They were riding a really cool
Tandem bike.


Then I got a call from Dave, a member of the trike forum Bent Riders OnLine (BROL).  Again, lots of last minute stuff got missed.  I had put his number in my
phone but with no name.  I had forgotten I added it as a favourite to find it easy.  In any case, I was glad he called.  I would be in Lincoln City where he had mentioned as a possible meeting spot.  Only thing is is was in Astoria.  He had rode 90 miles, possibly by following my blog and anticipating my arrival there.  Only thing is my blog was behind,  do I was two days past Astoria.  Turns out he tried to catch up, and ended up meeting Mike and Judy.  I felt terrible he had gone out of his way to try and meet me, and I appreciate his efforts.  Next time I'm in Oregon I plan to make a special stop in his hometown.  Text me your address Dave.  A postcard is in your future!

The coast continued to amaze!  It was so beautiful and great to be by the water.


I stopped to take this picture in a small community with gravel roads.  This one was freshly oiled.  I remember reading about this practice in some kids books when I was younger.  It's meant to keep the dust down.  


I was addicted to fish tacos so I got Baja tacos which had pineapple on them.  


Mike and Judy stopped by and Mile seemed keen to have tacos, but he opted for Judy's suggestion of a picnic lunch.


After I ate and got charged too much at an ATM, I was off.  Travelling by bike jas The advantage of being slow and not missing anything.  No matter how slow, cars would not have seen this sunken boat, Simon, because of the vantage, but it's easily seen by bike. Or trike.  This was at Little Nestucca River.  


After a bit of a climb, I turned into a rest area viewpoint.  A guy was on his cellphone straddling the barrier.  I took some photos and he told whoever he was talking to to, "hold on a sec, I have to ask this guy something.  Hey, is that a solar receiver around your neck?"  I was wearing my solar panel to charge my phone and around my neck with a string had been working out fine.  You can see him on the edge of the photo.  I responded affirmatively and he went back to his call.  As I was leaving, he caught up to me before I left.  His name was Reg, short for Reginald.


I asked him about his hot rod IROC and he was happy to talk to me about it.  It had a matte paint job.  We talked for quite a while.  He told me he was E-4 or E-5 which I guessed were army designations.  He also told me about a buddy of his who had put him on under his life insurance because he had lost both his parents and said if he ever died he wanted him to buy a Corvette with the money.  Apparently his friend got burned pretty bad and called him from Japan, and asked Reg how he was doing.  Reg replied, "I'm shopping for Corvettes!"  His friend said, "When I get better I'm coming over there and kick yer ass!"  Then Reg got emotional when he said his friend lived another 20 years but died the day after he bought a brand new Harley.  And then he went back to talking about cars. Eventually the conversation ended organically and we both left.


I made it to Lincoln City.  Nice little town. They had a Bank of America so I took out more money.  This time without a fee.


It had some nice shops and was on a rolly hill.  


I was looking for J's Fish and Chips which a local recommended.  But the streets were confusing me.  Turns out they have NE and SW in the numbering of streets, so I kept going.  I had cell reception so I was able to call home.  The Fish and Chips were good!  Sea Breeze was still the best!


I kept stoping to take pics because they had some fun places.


Not far after Lincoln was Depoe Bay.  I noticed a pizza place that advertised gluten free.  I thought about David's intolerance.  Better than that, a little later they had a place advertising gluten free Clam Chowder!  I shared this news with David when I got to camp and was ready to go back the 6 miles to get some with him.  He declined.


They also had a what-not shop.  I thought of my buddy Johnson who often says "what-not".


The detour before camp was cool.  It was a bike-only, for the most part, lane, which was hilly with climbs, but still fun and worthwhile.


It was a beautiful path and had lots of great trees through the the path. But again, they were steep. But sometimes climbs are enjoyable in their own right.  


Specially when they have view payoffs like this...


I finally made it to Beverly Beach State Park, and the usual suspects were there to greet me.


It seemed Mikaela and Daniel missed the scenic bike route but Daniel would hit it in the morning unloaded.  I should make a point of taking pictures of where we stay.  I'm always too wrapped up in setting up my tent and chatting and often forget.  Beverly Beach was one of the nice places.













No comments:

Post a Comment