Monday, July 1, 2013

Guardian Angels R Us

I'd say it was something in the water but it seems Washingtonians don't drink tap water.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  After my first sleep, which was relatively comfortable, I woke up and packed up.  By about 8am I was ready to go. Unfortunately, I was reminded of the funny noise I had heard at Papa Angeles.  And not haha funny!  I investigated done things and find tuned others.  When I inspected the source of the noise, I realized the tensioner gears were not lined up with the 16T sprocket I had replaced because the 13T would not give me the gear inches I needed for a fully loaded tour when encountering hills.  I was worried this would be a problem, as I could hear the chain grinding between the gears.  Luckily, I found a bike shop and it was almost entirely downhill, requiring only limited pedaling.



When I got the road, I had to use my drag brake as the hill was very steep.  Thanks again to Papa Angeles for dropping me off up that hill!  I still went pretty fast.  How fast.  When I got to Front St, a guy honked his horn at me.  His passenger window was open.  He help up my flag, then chucked it at me. My second guardian angel of the trip!  I thanked him and he silently drove off.  Lots of DF bikes were heading up the hill on my way down.  I got one cat call and a few thumbs up.

The bike shop didn't open until 10am so I went for breakfast.  I watched as some ladies watered the local plants.  They had to move my trike so the water wouldn't drip on it.  


After I ate my pigs in a blanket, saving the potatoes for dinner, I headed over to the Sound Kayak and Bike Shop.  I explained the problem and Mitch noticed something I had not.  A spacer.  The 13T is different so it made sense!  I was so relieved.  And then I noticed something.  I told Mitch that it looked like I had melted part of my disc brake assembly.  His reaction, when he saw it was, "Wow, that is awesome!!!  Well, it's not awwwwsome.  Actually no, it is pretty awesome.  I've never seen anything like that before!"  But I could forgive his enthusiasm for my misfortune, because he was my second guardian angel of the day, helping me fix both my problems.  


He even gave me a Torax tool for the disc brake adjustment.  He had me do the work which I think is standard in bike maintenance and I use a similar approach in my teaching practice.  He managed to remove the brake assembly, and I cut away at the melted plastic and get things back on order.  Then I put it back on.  After removing the spacer and fixing my brakes, I was ready to hit the road.  Mitch wouldn't take any money for  his time, so I gave him a pack of my energy gummies and bought a set of replacement brake pads.

As I left the store, I made some final tweeks but before I could push on the pedals, a Dutch man and his wife stopped me.  The man told me this history of bikes and the reality in Holland. He admired my trike.  We spoke back and forth.  I agreed that Holland had a great bike history and culture.  Both his and my first bike were Raleighs!  Eventually they left, holding hands as they walked down the street.


I didn't want to leave just yet.  I was fed up with my fenders, do I removed them, went to the post office and send them home.  And I decided I should get my banking situation done, and found a Bank of America.  By then, it was past lunch and I grabbed a cheeseburger for fuel, and gave a generous tip to the girl who filled my Nalgene with ice and filtered water.  As I left the city, I knew I was in store for an amazing adventure.  The views were amazing!!!


Seeing the world by trike is above and beyond seeing it by car, in my estimation.  Watching the world go by slowly affords you opportunities to see things you'd simply miss by car.  And you'll see views for much longer periods.  And you're afforded the ability to stop and talk to deer.


And people.  I was wearing my solar panel on my chest and a girl from a car asked if it was a solar panel and if I was using it to charge my iPhone.  Then a fellow Bent rider (recumbent riders say 'bent) by the name of Bob Rogers came over to ask what kind of trike it was.  He was a 2 wheel bent rider, but liked my trike.  He was involved with a jazz troup or jazz camp.


I was starting to realize that lots of things on the road look like snakes. Metal twists from truck and dried pieces of bark that have twisted.  Snakes look like pieces of bark. Papa Angeles and I saw a bird pick up what I thought was wood but actually a snake.


I grabbed some snacks got dinner and once I got to Crescent Lake oil was awed.  I had to press a button which would protect me with a force field from cars, or something like that.  I pressed the button without reading the instructions.  


Then I saw the Lake.  Wow!!!  Only day one of riding and I was treated to a fantastic view!!!  


And there were flowers, devoid of shop.


When I got within 8 miles of my campground, I did a two mile hike to see Marymere falls.  I can't help but think it's a weird way to say Mother Mary.  The foot bridges and path were great!  I had chucked Rawk Lobster just off the path, but in hindsight, I could have rode it lost of the hike.  


I spent quite a bit of time relaxing as I looked at the falls.  I wasn't worried about Rawk Lobster.


The path to and from was gorgeous.  And I had fantastic light so I stopped to take pictures.  


Considering my late start, I'm glad I only had to log 28 some odd miles.  I was still able to stop and take lots of pictures.  Perhaps I didn't need to stop often, but Ferris Bueller is my hero, and I love his catchphrase.


I finally got to Fairholme campground and managed to set up my tent in a record 8 minutes.  I offered a guy who was throwing fuel to get his fire going to help but his alpha-maleness wouldn't allow it. I guess I'm still a guardian angel in training.  Or maybe I broke the unwritten rule that you never help a guy with directions, fashion advice or fire stoking.


I ate salmon jerky for dinner again, with the leftover potatoes from breakfast and some chips and sunflower seeds.  I turned in early so as to write this entry.  I lost some of the one I was rewriting but hope when I'm connected to the Internet it will not have been lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment