Thursday, July 11, 2013

Trike vs. Solar and meet the dunes

Welcome to Newport!  Sounds like a fancy place.


I decided to get some breakfast at Café  Stephanie and unwisely chose the breakfast burrito. It was too bland but it filled me up with the ingredients I needed for my day. And I got to sit outside by my trike and charge my phone with my solar panel.  The servers loved my solar panel.  I'm not sure what was getting more attention.  The panel or the trike!


Not far from Stephanie's was this bakery where I got a small sourdough bread.  The solar panel was a hit here as well.  The people of Newport really dig solar panels!


I didn't want to miss the lighthouse, and it was weird enough that I'm glad I made the detour.  And some kids seemed to dig my trike.  Solar panel 2, trike 1.


The detour also afforded me a great view of the bridge I would be crossing.  The bridges in Oregon were definitely pretty awesome! And generally bike friendly.  This was from just around the corner from the lighthouse. 


It was a short steep hill that got me to the bridge.  It was even nicer up close.  Very majestic as far as bridges go.


Although there was room in the sidewalk for the trike, I had to bd careful as it was barely wide enough.  I just watched my right wheel and made sure it just grazed the posts so my side bag wouldn't hit the short barrier on my left.


Since I was meeting cool people like Reg at sight point stop areas, I made a habit if it.  Bruce came over at this one pit stop by the sea.  He was with his daughter Tina.  He was curious about the trike (solar 2, trike 2) and mentioned that he saw one in Arizona at a campground and the guy let him ride it.  He was telling Tina, who was visiting from Hawaii, that she should consider one.  They were both on bikes taking a ride from their campground.  Bruce wanted a picture of me with the trike.  I told him that he could only if I could get a picture of him and Tina with it.  Note that nobody asked to have a picture of me with my solar panel.


I asked Tina if she wanted to try, but it was too reclined for her.  I told her there were less reclined models.  I could tell Bruce really wanted to ride it so I let him give it a go too.


It wasn't long after that I came to the first of many wood carving shops, where pieces of wood are moulded into figures with chainsaws.  I offered to take a picture of this man and woman, but they didn't reciprocate so I took this one of me.


One store down was Bruce McEneny.  His stuff was a step above the other places, but I couldn't take pictures as there were signs asking that no pictures be taken.  I guess he doesn't like his work to be shared?  I did get this picture of him chainsawing some wood.


Here's another Espresso shop!


I actually turned around and crossed the road for this shot.  Best cutout for publicity I've seen!  It was awesome!!!  If the guy worked inside, I missed out.


Thd train museum was pit of order or had the flu or something.  It was closed.


I got back to the coast after crossing another bridge.


And as if I hadn't seen enough funky lawn ornaments, this one was super funky!  I didn't even know what it was.  Like a lochness monster with a flower body?  The guy in the upstairs window waved back when I saw him and waved. I gave him a thumbs up for his lochness flower.


I was pretty hungry when I got to Yachats.  I still have no clue his yo pronounce it even though I heard it a few times.  I think if you clear your throat of something  you're halfway there.


I was getting hungry but I was keen to get my lunch right since breakfast didn't go too well.  When I saw Luna Sea Fish House, which I had researched before leaving, I stopped there.  I'm glad I saw it and remembered.  It was a great choice!  I ended up getting this cheese chowder when was amazing!  I also got some salmon fish deep fried.


Robert, the owner, spoke about how he will go out for 3 or 4 days to catch the fish and he catches everything hook and line.  As far as he is concerned, nets don't belong in the water.  And he is right.  We are destroying habitats with nets.  I talked to him for a bit and hd asked about my trike and my journey. (Trike 3). And my solar panel. (Tied). He gave me some food recommendations in California which I will definitely check out.  


There was another tunnel, lights already blinking.


As much as tunnels are supposed to be nerve wracking for bikers/trikers, I enjoyed them.  They're fun to go through!


And the view through them is unique.  And when you get through, after cars wizz by carefully, it's quite satisfying!  See... Look how happy I am!


Before getting to camp, I saw another lighthouse.  It was quite picturesque. 


When I got to camp, I forgot to take a picture of the campsite, but I did get some pictures when Daniel, Mikaela and I  went to the dune that adjoined our camp area.  It was pretty cool! 


Daniel and I climbed higher up the dune. It was really beautiful with the sun setting.  I took a panorama which has both Daniel and me in the picture.


And then time to sleep.


















No comments:

Post a Comment