Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Let's add to the complication!

As if losing my wallet and money weren't enough, I got bit by a snake!!! Just kidding.  But now your relief will resemble the relative acceptance I had with losing my stuff. And I had optimism I might find it.


In the morning, when I got to the visitor centre, I overheard them talking about my situation since I left everything with the ranger the night before.  

On my way back to my campground to pack and leave, I smiled and waved at a man who seemed to like my trike.  On my way out, he was talking to a ranger in a big truck.  I wasn't thinking about taking pictures so this part of my blog will not have the usual visual cues.

The ranger asked of I was the guy who lost his wallet and I became excited that he had found it.  He hadn't, but he would look out for it.  After he left, Gary, the guy I had waved to earlier, remarked that I had a great attitude.  He couldn't believe that I was still smiling.  But I was eager to hunt for the wallet so off I went.  Not long after I left, I heard an unusual repetitive sound. After inspecting, I discovered my back wheel had a bulge in the sidewall and was rubbing up against the custom bracket I had had made.  I released enough air so it wouldn't bulge and continued.  

I got all the way to the 6 Peaks store I got my map, but had missed the turnoff where I thought I might have lost it.  I told Charlotte, who remembered me, and Ashley, a girl who was helping out, about my misfortune.  Charlotte hoped I would find it and said she would keep a lookout for it.  

I doubled back and within 50 yards i found the map I had lost. I continued and checked the fishing turnoff, but had no luck.  I dropped in 6 Peaks and told Ashley I had no luck finding it, and wished her well.

I missed Den's Wood Den somehow.  But I continued back to Forks.  I realized I had personal cheques and could get money that way, and it was the largest city around. And maybe those Twilight condoms had come in.  I stopped in visitor center and waited as Marsha explained how to do the Twilight trivia sheets and scavenger hunt.  After talking to her, she called the closest bank, where she had worked god years, big in the end, they couldn't help me.  So I went to the Thriftway/Outfitters to see if they would cash a cheque.  No.  But they did have Western Union, and someone could wore me money.


My buddy and brother Evan saved the day. After a few failed attempts online, he headed to a Walmart and gave me the transit number after he finished on his end.  On my end, the lady insisted on explaining all the possible things that could go wrong.  If my name was spelled wrong by 1 letter, it would be okay, but if it was spelled wrong by 2 letters, Evan would have to do everything all over again.  And there were s bunch of other things as well.  Thanks lady.  Please figure out the zip code info problem please.  And she did.  Instead of my address in Toronto, she listed me as a resident of Forks, and it went through.  Maybe I'll be Bella's neighbour!

When I got my money, I went outside and immediately chatted with a gentleman on a bike.  I shared my woes, most particularly, my tire situation, which was now the problem I had to deal with most readily.  He explained the concept of a Boot to me. Basically it would prevent the bulge at a higher tire pressure.  I finally introduced myself and it turns out his name was Lance, but according to him, he had a nicer smile than the other Lance.  I took a picture of him and his travel companion Amy outside the Triftway.  I asked where they were heading, and they said Bogachiel, which I remembered passing and it wasn't too far.  Seemed like a good place to crash and I told them I'd see them there.  I went to get some Pacific Pizza.  They had a Twlight menu, after all.


While I waited for my pizza, I went to the outfitters to see if I could getaway new tire for my back wheel.  It was inadequate, so I looked for boot-like things.  I bought some keychain circles which I could use as patches.

The pizza was in a big box, so I asked for a small one, and almost burned myself in the folding and transferring process.  There was tons of cheese in the middle of the original so I just folded up the wax paper and tossed it in my box.  

It had been a long day and when I got to Bogachiel, I saw Amy and Lance's bikes, but not then, so I set up shop on the site next to them, but they invited me over to share their lot and we split the fee three ways.



Although there were so many helpful, kind and considerate people on the long and arduous day, Evan was the one who really came through in a big way!  I owe you buddy!  I was going to get you thank you gift of Twilight condoms, but they're still out of stock!

No comments:

Post a Comment